Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Splendid Snake Skin

Day 2 of the week - The theme this week is Reptiles!
Learning Activity: I explained that reptiles - like snakes, lizards and alligators - have dry and scaly skin. I had Connor and Lauren choose and identify cutouts of reptiles. Then I lead Connor and Lauren in singing the following song, singing about a different reptile each time. (Sung to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot" I'm a little snake, my oh my. My skin has scales; it's nice and dry. You may think I'm slimy. What? Not me! I'm a reptile, yes siree! (Substitute appropriate reptile name). I then explained to Connor and Lauren how snakes shed their skin.
Project - Draw a snake onto a piece of construction paper. Cut a piece of bubble wrap into the shape of a snake. Pop the bubbles on the material. The result looks and feels like a real snake's shed skin. Glue the snake bubble wrap below the snake. Draw leaves and branches and sticks on the paper too. (Source- The Mailbox Magazine June/July 2008)
Materials Needed - construction paper, marker, glue stick, bubble wrap, scissors
Learning Activities
Today's Activities:
Alphabet - writing G, beginning sounds
Numbers 1-10- 8, recognition, counting, following directions
Math Readiness - One More
Reading Readiness - Shapes - rectangles
Transition Math - writing numbers, counting sets
Kindergarten Skills - writing alphabet in order




1 comment:

  1. That is really cool--I think teachers could use this in their Science classes!!

    ReplyDelete