Thursday, May 28, 2009

Butterflies, blue and bugs!




Day 3 of our week -- Our theme is bugs and the color of the week is blue.
Project - Today, we made butterfly sun catchers to go a long with our bug theme. I found the idea in the August 2006 Parents magazine. I modified the idea from a kite suncatcher to a butterfly. I drew my own template for the butterfly and the kids and I used an old pencil sharpener to make crayon shavings. I then, melted the crayon shavings between two pieces of wax paper and placed the wax paper between 2 old dishtowels. I pressed the towel covered wax paper with and iron set on low to medium, until the crayons and wax paper had melted together. We then took the butterfly templates I drew and traced them onto construction paper ( 2 pieces) and glued them onto the cooled wax paper. Finally we cut the remaining overhanging wax paper and hung them on our window! ( you could add antennae -using string, or pipe cleaners)
Activity 1 - It was our third and final day with the color blue. I made a math worksheet with blue butterflies ( which also went with our art project) Connor and Lauren matched the sets of butterflies with the correct number. This emphasized one to one correspondence with counting and fine motor skills with drawing straight lines to the correct number!
Activity 2 - I also made a worksheet that emphasized beginning sounds. We have been working on this for a couple of weeks now. We talk about sounds throughout the day, just in our daily language, but this worksheet is a fun way to work on the sounds too. Again this activity emphasized beginning sounds, and fine motor skills (drawing circles and matching)
Activity 3 - Our final activity is practicing writing letters and words. I use the website http://www.worksheetuniverse.com/ for this. We finished Printing Practice worksheet 4 today. I spread this worksheet out over the 3 days we do school. Today we finished with the letter m and the word sum. Connor and Lauren love learning how to write letters and especially write real words. Of course, Connor had to tell me that he already new how to make the letter M!!

No comments:

Post a Comment