Thursday, August 27, 2009

School Countdown

Day 3 of our week - Our theme this week is School. The letter of the week is I, i and the number of the week is 2.
Project - School Countdown. I got the idea for this craft from the September 2009 issue of Family Fun magazine. I cut 6 cardboard tubes in descending half-inch increments, starting at 5 inches (the magazine did 7 starting at 5 1/2 inches) I had Connor and Lauren sponge the tubes with 2 different paint colors. Lauren used purple and pink and Connor used brown and white. After the tubes were dry I lined one end of each tube with craft glue and stuck them to a cardboard base (a cereal box). Then I trimmed around address labels with fun craft scissors and stuck the labels onto the cardboard tubes. Connor and Lauren took number stickers and placed the stickers on the tubes in descending order. Then, I wrapped small school supplies, and treats and put them into the tubes. Connor and Lauren will unwrap a package each day until their first day of preschool. Materials Needed - cardboard tubes, paint, sponge, craft glue, cardboard - cereal box, sticky labels, numbers (stickers), prizes for each tube.
Connor and Lauren with their School Countdown Craft!

Lauren's Countdown

Connor's Countdown!


Connor and Lauren painting their tubes

Learning Activities - I have been using the workbook Everything for Early Learning Preschool workbook. (I purchased it at Wal-Mart)
Today's Activities:
The letter I, i - beginning sounds
The number 2 - counting, writing, recognition
The concept same - recognition, following directions
The concept more -recognition, following directions
The concept on and off - recognition, following directions, cutting and pasting

No comments:

Post a Comment