Monday, August 10, 2009

Birdseed Biscuit

Day 1 of our week - I am back from a mini vacation with my husband (that is why there was only 2 posts last week). I feel refreshed after a much needed vacation without the kids. They had a wonderful time playing with both sets of grandparents.
No theme this week! The letter of the week is G, g and the number of the week is 4.

Connor with the finished biscuits

Project - Birdseed Biscuit. I found this project in the February 2009 issue of Family Fun Magazine. I let Connor and Lauren choose 2 cookie cutters each. Lauren chose a bunny and a butterfly and Connor chose a ghost and a bat (Halloween Theme!) I doubled the recipe shown in the magazine to make 4 biscuits. The recipe in the magazine only makes two biscuits. Connor and Lauren each dumped in 3/4 cup of birdseed, (1 1/2 cup total) 1 tbsp of flour, (2 tbsp total) and 2 tbsp of water (4 tbsp total). Then thy mixed it all together. I sprayed the cookie cutters with cooking oil and placed them on a foil covered baking sheet. Connor and Lauren used plastic spoons to fill their cookie cutters with the birdseed mixture. I packed the mixture in with the spoons and Connor and Lauren pushed 1/2 a straw into the mixture near the top to create a hole for hanging. Then I baked the biscuits in a 170 degree oven for a little over an hour (or until the biscuit is hard). I let the biscuits cool, removed the straw and threaded fishing line through the hole, so the Birdseed Biscuits can be hung outside on a tree! Materials Needed - cookie cutters, birdseed, flour, water, measuring cup, tbsp measuring spoon, large bowl, mixing spoon, small spoon, baking pan, tin foil, cooking spray, plastic drinking straw, scissors, fishing line or ribbon, oven

Lauren and Connor mixing the birdseed mixture

Learning Activities - I have been using the workbook Everything for Early Learning Preschool workbook. (I purchased it at Wal-Mart)
Today's Activities:
The letter G, g - writing, recognition
The number 4 - recognition, one-to-one correspondence, following directions
The concept first - recognition, following directions
The concept up - recognition, following directions, cutting and pasting

No comments:

Post a Comment