Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Buoyant octopus!

Foam Octopus'

Day 2 of our week - Our themes this week are oceans, flags, and Father's Day. Today we focused on the ocean theme.
Project - I found this project in the April 2008 edition of Family Fun magazine. They are called Buoyant Buddies! They are made out of foam and corks. Connor made a dolphin earlier this year and Lauren a frog, but since our theme this week is ocean I thought it would be fun to make an ocean creature. Connor and Lauren both chose and octopus as their project, but they could have chosen a starfish, or crab too. I printed off the templates from the website www.FamilyFun.com/magazine I traced the template on foam and cut out the shapes. Then Connor and Lauren used craft glue to glue on the googly eyes and they used a Sharpie pen to draw a mouth. Then I applied hot glue to the foam shape and Connor and Lauren stuck the cork onto the glue. The website shows you where to place the corks. It is a fun project. Connor and Lauren wanted to make more, but I need to get more corks! :) Materials needed- craft foam, googly eyes, cork, permanent marker, hot glue, craft glue.

Connor drawing a mouth on his orange octopus!
Learning Activities - I have been using the workbook Everything for Early Learning Preschool workbook. (I purchased it at Wal-Mart).
Today's activities
1. Circle search
2. The number 9 - writing the number, counting objects . . .
3. The concept of small and big. Circling the small objects.
I always do letter/number reviews and they always write their names.

No comments:

Post a Comment