Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Stars and Stripes Necklace and Letter Go Fish!

Stars and Stripes Necklace

This week's activities are reposts from last year!

Day 2 of our Week - Our theme this week is the 4th of July! Our letter of the week is the letter A, and the number of the week is the number 10.

Connor and Lauren with their Stars and Stripes Necklace

Project - Stars and Stripes Necklace. I found the idea for this project out of the July 2006 issue of Parents Magazine. I traced star a star onto red, blue and white foam (2 stars for each color for a total of 6 stars) Then I measure out yarn (I used multi-color red, white, blue) to fit Connor and Lauren. Then I cut a striped red, white and blue straw into 1-inch pieces. Connor and Lauren then alternated stringing stars and straw pieces onto the yarn. When they were finished, I tied the ends of the yarn necklace together. Lauren loved her necklace. Connor is giving his to his Grandma - because "boys don't wear these, Mom!" Oh well, at least he liked making it! :) Materials Needed - red, white, blue craft foam, straws (1 per child), yarn, scissors.
Lauren and Connor making their Stars and Stripes Necklaces'


Letter Go Fish!
Learning Activity/Project - I have been collecting soup can lids for a couple of months now. My Mother-in-law has been too - Thanks Carolyn! After, I collected 26 lids, I wrote each letter of the alphabet on the lids with permanent marker. Then I found Connor's two magnetic fishing poles (one was from a puzzle the other from an outside fishing game). I had Connor and Lauren take turns drawing cards from an alphabet card game. They had to say the letter name then "fish" for the letter. They had fun "fishing" for letters. It kept them busy for a long time and it was a great way to review their letters. They want to make a set with numbers too! :) Materials Needed - soup can lids, permanent marker, magnetic fishing poles

Learning Activities - I have been using the workbook Everything for Early Learning Preschool workbook. (I purchased it at Wal-Mart).
Today's activities
1. Shape - Squares. Tracing, recognizing, coloring
2. The number 10 - writing the number, recognizing the number counting objects . . .
3. The concepts big and small. Color identification with big and small
4. The letter A, a. Writing/tracing the letter A,a
I always do letter/number reviews and they always write their names.

No comments:

Post a Comment